ACFS Centre Associate, and former Executive Director, Deborah Ralston has been named the inaugural Chair of ASIC’s Digital Finance Advisory Committee.
The Committee was established to provide external guidance to ASIC on its engagement with the fintech sector. Committee members are drawn from a cross-section of the fintech community, as well as academia and consumer backgrounds. The appointment recognises Professor Ralston’s contribution to research on the impact of innovation and technology on financial services.
In an article for The Conversation, Professor Ralston said the Committee’s focus is on ‘streamlining ASIC’s approach to facilitating new business models’. Professor Ralston said the Committee’s initiatives will aim to amend two issues: a conservative approach to regulation which has become a barrier to innovation, and a lack of collaboration between researchers, innovators, corporates and regulators.
The Committee comprises:
· Deborah Ralston: Professor of Finance, Monash University (DFAC Chair)
· Andrew Corbett-Jones: Head, Tyro Fintech Hub
· Toby Heap: Managing Director , H2 Ventures
· Kim Heras: General Partner, 25fifteen
· Murray Hurps: General Manager, Fishburners
· Jenni Mack: Director, Sunsuper
· Alex Scandurra: CEO, Stone and Chalk
· Matt Symons: CEO, SocietyOne
ASIC’s Media Release: 15-211MR Innovation Hub: ASIC Update
Professor Ralston’s article: Let’s not regulate away the competition fintech can bring