Banking and Capital Markets
Featured Paper: Trends in the Australian small loan market
The Australian market for payday loans has grown significantly in recent decades, mirroring international trends. Although such loans are relatively high-cost (reflecting the higher risks of borrower default), stronger regulation may not be the appropriate policy response, according to Dr Marcus Banks, Dr Ashton de Silva and Professor Roslyn Russell. Read more >
About the Program
The Banking and Capital Markets research program covers research related to Australian banks, credit unions, building societies, capital markets, and associated financial intermediaries.
The program is guided by the Banking Research Program Committee. The purpose of this Committee is to build stronger links and collaborative opportunities between academics, practitioners, industry bodies and regulators, with the aim of increasing both the quantity and relevance of research outcomes to the benefit of all stakeholders.
The responsibilities of the Committee are to:
- Develop a research agenda for finance academics and postgraduate/honours research students.
- Provide feedback on research ideas and outputs generated by, or affiliated with, ACFS. This includes jointly overseeing the development of one Commissioned Paper per year.
- Contribute to the research agenda, with individual contributions including commentary, feedback or other forms of communication.
Research Program Committee
The current members are:
Prof Kevin Davis, ACFS(Chair)
- Gordon Allison, National Australia Bank
- Dr Silvio Contessi, Monash University
- Steven Cunico, Deloitte
- Chris Dalton, Australian Securitisation Forum
- Matthew Davison, Martin Currie Australia
- Tim Dring, EY
- Sarah Edmondson, ASIC
- Martin Foo, ACFS
- Gavin Gunning, Standard & Poor’s
- Brendon Harper, APRA
- Richard Home, ACCC
- Rodney Maddock,ACFS
- Prof Nadia Massoud, The University of Melbourne
- Dr Daniel Melser, RMIT University
- Dr My Nguyen, RMIT University
- David Norman, RBA
- Louise O’Brien, Bank Australia
- Stewart Oldfield,Field Research
- Jeff Oughton, FIMA
- Tony Pearson, Australian Bankers’ Association
- Alex Sell,exSell Group
- Prof Michael Skully, Monash University
- Stuart Stoyan, MoneyPlace
- Dianne Thomson, Deakin University
- Maria Trinci, KPMG
- Adam Vise, ANZ Banking Group
- Craig Williams, Citi Investment Research
- Matthew Wilson, JCP Investment Partners
Login below if you are a member:
Professor Kevin Davis
Program Leader, Banking and Capital Markets Research Program
Kevin Davis is Professor of Finance at the University of Melbourne, Professor of Finance at Monash University, and Research Director at ACFS. He is co-author/editor of 16 books in the areas of finance, banking, monetary economics and macroeconomics and has published numerous journal articles and chapters in books. He is the Deputy Chair of SIRCA, a member of the Australian Competition Tribunal, and was a panel member of the David Murray-led Financial System Inquiry.